Newsletter – July 2018

SRRPC Newsletter 07/11/2018

Savannah River Rifle and Pistol Club
P.O. Box 5337
Aiken, SC 29804

NRA # C7072 CMP # 037002

June 26, 2018 Executive Committee Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by President Jim Samsel. Officers present were Jim Samsel, Rick Fowler, Roger Ward, and George Laverick. Three members were also present.

Minutes

Reading of the minutes of the May 22, 2018 meeting was waived.

Treasurer’s Report

The Treasurer’s report was given by Roger Ward. Current membership is 314.

Range Report

The Range Report was given by Rick Fowler. The range is in generally good condition, but there is erosion taking place on the right side of the rifle range. Target backers are being left at the range. When we have a storm, the creates a mess on the range. Please take your used backers home or throw them in the trash. We ran out of Waiver forms at the range. Rick Fowler made some copies. George Laverick will email Rick the original .PDF files of the Waiver, sign-in log, and RSO Report to make it easier to print additional forms

Armorer’s Report

The Armorer was not present, but there are no known changes in status of the Club firearms..

Old Business

Disciplinary Guidelines: A draft of proposed disciplinary guidelines was sent out with the newsletter. Comments were received from several members. Primarily, the comments centered around the requirement to wear a badge at all times and the requirement to wear hearing protection. One member was concerned about the classification of can as “junk” targets. The Executive Committee voted to delete cans from the definition of junk targets. A discussion was also held about the need of hearing protection when using a suppressor. The Executive Committee will continue to meet with the Range Committee to better define the disciplinary guidelines and any needed changes to the Range Rules.

NOTE: A revised approach to the Disciplinary Guidelines is attached to this newsletter as a pdf. Also, a proposed draft of the revised Chapter VI of the Member Handbook (General Range Rules) is attached. Changed portions of the rules are highlighted in red. Please review the proposals; they will be discussed at the July 24 Executive Committee meeting. All members are invited to attend and express your views.

Security System: A keycard will be issued to Aiken Systems so that they can access the range for installation of the video security system. The range will have to be closed during the installation.

NOTE: The installation started on July 10, 2018 and is expected to take through Friday, July 13. If the work is completed earlier, a notice will be emailed to members when the range is open again.

New Business

Mowing: The grass on the rifle range is getting tall. If we have to hire someone, we would have to consider another does increase because the quotes received earlier were quite high. Our current mower is small for and area the size of the rifle range, but may work in the short term, especially if we only need to mow the lower 100 meter section. The mower does need servicing though. Dennis Eidson and Roger Ward will coordinate getting the mower serviced.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting will be held at 7:00PM on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at the ADPS Indoor Range, 240 Dupont Drive, Aiken, SC. All members are encouraged to attend.

Respectfully,

George Laverick, Secretary